I make this clams pasta for my selfish day. Today I just want to be careless and stop impress other people and celebrating my existence on earth. I want honest and straightforward pasta dish for my celebration. No fancy ingredients or hustle and bustle in the kitchen.
Mostly the spaghetti vongole recipe that I found on the internet use white wine, but this time I skip the white wine. I want make it simple and let the taste of the clams more prominent. For this recipe try to use best quality olive oil. You can use garlic olive oil, but I suggest to use fresh garlic. Don't you love the sound when the garlic touch the hot oil and sizzle, and the smells of garlic fill your kitchen?
- 2 pounds fresh clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound spaghetti, linguine or cappelini
- 4 -5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup pasta cooking water
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put a pan of water to boil and season lightly with salt. Add the pasta to the boiling water, and cook according to the packet instruction until al dente. Drain pasta.
- Meanwhile before the pasta cooking, add olive oil into the hot pan and add garlic and cook until just brown, swirling pan often, add chilli flakes, and continue cooking for about 15 seconds. Add clams and pasta water, increase heat to high. Cover skillet and cook until all the clams open and release their juice, discard any clams that haven't open.
- Drain pasta, add pasta along with chopped parsley to the pan of clams. Season with salt and pepper and an extra drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Toss to combine and serve right away.