Kapurung is a traditional food from Luwu (West Sulawesi). Kapurung is a kind of sour vegetable soup with a sago balls. At a glance this food look less attractive. Vegetable and fish stew in a soup base look pale and messy in a bowl. However, the aroma was tempting, the scent of fish broth and kecombrang (torch ginger) blend together.
This soup has a sour and savory taste and very delicate of fish broth. Traditionally there is no standard for this food, you can use chicken, beef or fish stock. To give a sour taste usually we use asam patikala but if you can't find it you can use tomato, lime juice or mango. The addition of shrimp paste and chili sauce is to give a strong sense and kicking taste in your mouth.
- tepung sagu aren/sago flour/ sago starch ( a gluten free flour made from palm tree)
- boiling water
- corn kernels
- water spinach (kangkung), cut
- string beans, cut 1-2 cm
- banana blossom , sliced thinly
- Boiled all vegetable until cooked, strain it and set aside
- cakalang, tuna or anchovies
- small shrimp
- shallots, sliced
- asam patikala or 1 tablespoon tamarind juice or/and tomato
- shrimp paste
- salt and sugar to taste
- bird's eye chillies, green and red
- 1st method: Put sago flour in a small or medium bowl. Add boiling water into a sago flour, leave a minutes until turn transparent and stir fast until done.
- 2nd method: Put sago flour in a bowl. Dilute sago flour with half part of water. Boiling half part water, add the flour mixture into a boiling water and stir fast until well blended,it should be thick and transparent (looks like glue).
- Prepare another bowl and fill with water . Using 2 bamboo sticks to rolled on the sago mixture and make small ball. Add sago ball to a water bowl. Set aside
- Clean the fish cut it into a 4x4 cm size. Peeled and cleaned shrimp
- Heat pan in a medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoon oil. Add sliced shallots and stir fry for 1 minute, add turmeric paste and shrimp paste and stirring. Add fish, asam patikala, salt, sugar and water. Cover the pan and cook slowly for about 20-30 minutes or until fish soft. Don't forget to check your fish for every few minutes and stir it gently to prevent from burning.
- Add shrimp and bird's eye chillies, cook again for about 3-5 minutes. Add more water if necessary
- Strain sago balls from water and add it into a individually serving bowl. Add vegetables and fish soup. Served with addition chili sambal and shredded young mango.