I've wanted to make vol au vent since I was a child. I remember first time I saw escargot vol-au-vent recipe in my grandma cookbook, I was amazed, it look so pretty and fancy. That time I told myself that someday I must make it.Two years ago I finally learned to make puff pastry in my cooking school, we make vol au vent cases from scratch, filled it poached eggs, served with albufera sauce and leeks. This time I want make a mini version, like the one from my grandma cookbook.
I use mushroom for meatless version, you can use shrimp or chicken if you want. . You can use the store bought puff pastry to make the vol au vent cases, you can also make the cases the day before and keep it in airtight container. Just follow this instruction to make vol-au-vent cases.
- 350 gram puff pastry to make 6-8 vol-au-vent cases
- 1 egg yolk
- 500 gram champignon, trimmed and halved
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 free range egg yolk
- 100 ml clarified butter
- 75 ml white wine vinegar
- 5 white peppercorn
- 1 sprigs tarragon
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook on medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes until browning. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, add dried rosemary and cook for another 1 minute. Turn off the heat and season to taste.
- Hollandaise sauce: Add together white wine vinegar, white peppercorns, tarragon to a small saucepan. Cook in a medium heat and reduce by half. Strain and set aside, Whisk egg yolks over double broiler, slowly start to dribble in clarified butter, keep whisking until emulsified, take from heat and whisk in vinegar reduction, season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Spoon in the mushroom mixture into the vol au vent cases and serve with hollandaise sauce.