Kalio also known as wet rendang is a dish originated from Minangkabau. Kalio usually made from beef or chicken but occasionally can use fish, duck or even vegetables. Chicken cooked slowly in a coconut milk with spices and chilies.
- 1 kg fresh chicken
- 1 coconut, to make 4 cups coconut milk
- 1 lemongrass
- 2 daun salam (indonesian bay leaves)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- cooking oil
- 1 ounces red chillies
- 8 shallots
- 4 garlic
- 5 cm galangal, chopped
- 3 cm ginger, chopped
- 3 cm tumeric, chopped
- 1 tbsp corriander
- salt and sugar
- Cut the chicken into 12-14 pieces and then wash the chicken.
- Grinding corriander seeds in a spice grinder until fine. Add chillies, galangal, ginger, tumeric, sugar and salt, process until smooth. Adding a little bit of cooking oil if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium high heat. Mix in spices paste and heat until fragrant. Add the lemongrass, bay leaves and lime leaf.
- Add the chicken. Cook chicken with spices until the chicken changed color. Add coconut milk and bring slowly to simmer.Let it cook until the coconut milk become thick and the chicken become tender, which will take about 1 hour.